Keeping track of our stuff- packing it, unpacking it, digging through it- makes me so flustered. I can be a little scatter brained when I’m overstimulated, so I lose things a lot. I’d rather focus my energy on my kiddos and the task at hand (errands, playdates, whatever) than on my stuff. Too much stuff just weighs me down physically and mentally. I love having everything I need on my back so I can pretty much forget about it.
I chose a super simple zip up backpack from everlane (<–this is my referral link, thanks!) It is sleek, sturdy, smartly designed, and like all Everlane products, ethically made. Also, it’s gender neutral so husbands shouldn’t mind carrying it around. I might get one for Joe and the mini version for Sisi!
Here is what I always carry:
- 2 water bottles (contigo and contigo kids stainless steel bottles have stood the test of time for us! Plus, the water isn’t sitting in plastic all day.)
- lunch box (omie box is amazing!)
- nursing cover
- shoes for Sisi (she’s usually barefoot so I am always forgetting to pack shoes)
- 3-4 diapers
- grocery bag for dirty diaper
- onesie (burt’s bees has cute/cheap organic onesies)
- wipes (water wipes– the best for his bum!)
- antibacterial wipes (these ones are all natural)
- wallet, keys, sunglasses, phone
- mints (special treat for Sisi on car rides and doubles as a baby rattle in a pinch)
- a few baby toys
As you can see, it’s just the essentials, and it all fits neatly into my backpack with room to spare. Now, HSPs are usually thinking a few steps ahead, and like to be prepared. I keep things like an extra change of clothes for me, extra diapers, sun hat, chapstick, and baby powder in my car because it’s nice to have backup supplies nearby. But I really don’t need to tote those things around everywhere I go, so I don’t.
Update 10/18/2016: I still use this backback every day, have washed it numerous times in the washing machine (hung outside to dry), and it is still in wonderful condition. I get compliments on it all the time.